Sir William Stanier's Black 5s were some of the most successful engines built and proved versatile and powerful performers for the LMS. On nationalisation in 1948, British Railways inherited a large number of the locomotives and, in an attempt to decide on a new livery, had three of them painted in different shades of green - Great Western Brunswick, Southern Malachite and one in LNER apple green. They ran around like this for a few months before the powers that be decided that they preferred black after all.
This engine was professionally built by the great John Adams of Poole, commissioned as a fine scale model of 4763, built Crewe Works 1947. At the time of nationalisation, whilst awaiting renumbering, the LMS engines had an "M" denoting Midland prefixed to their smokebox numberplates and above the cabside number. It is highly detailed throughout with flanged and bolted pipe fittings, sanding gear, scale backhead, working hinged cab doors - right down to a fully functional water scoop on the tender, retracted by a handwheel as per the prototype.
The engine is brand new and unused, it is hand lettered and lined, the paintwork is flawless and it would be equally at home on display or at the track.
Length 72 inches
Weight approx 220 pounds