A finely-built 4-4-0 to Don Young's well-regarded design for the NBR "Glen" class. The original engines were built at the Cowlairs works from 1913 to 1920, originally turned out in LNER green, subsequently in lined black. One of the class, Glen Douglas, survives in preservation at the Glasgow Transport Museum.
Silver-soldered copper boiler, feed by twin injectors. Inside cylinders with Joy valve gear and screw-reverser in the cab. Cab-operated drain cocks. The engine is nicely detailed with lamps, vacuum pipes and works plates.
The whistle is mounted beneath the cab floor, along with a valve to allow blowing down the boiler at the end of a run without either getting burnt or muck all over the engine! A similar attention to detail is shown by fitting the rear axle with cannon boxes to avoid ash and grit falling into the bearings. Recently overhauled with new piston rings, axle box bearings and boiler fittings, the engine has a current club certificate and is in first class working order.
Engine 32 inches
Tender 24 inches