A new, unsteamed GWR "County" to Don Young's "County Carlow" design; this one turned out as 3476, "County of Dorset".
Designed by Churchward, using common parts from his 4-6-0 "Saint", the original locomotives were built from 1904, 3476 outshopped from Swindon in 1906.
This is one of a pair of locomotives which have come to us from the son of the builder, a toolmaker during his working life. Machining work is - as expected - crisply executed. Fit and finish of the motionwork is good, the chassis runs well on air.
The commercially built, silver soldered copper boiler is by the estimable R.Chambers of Weymouth. We have its original paperwork from the manufacturer, the boiler has had a repeat hydraulic test in recent days.